The main umrah rites were discussed in Lesson 2 and are summarized in this post. Please listen to Lesson 2 FIRST in order to understand what these rites entail inshaAllah.
While in a state of menstruation, some of the umrah rites cannot be performed. Therefore the umrah cannot be completed until a woman’s menstrual bleeding finishes and she takes a ghusl.
The following passages summarize which umrah rites a menstruating woman can and cannot perform.
In the Hanafi madhhab, a menstruating woman who lives outside the miqāt is obliged to enter into a state of iḥrām for umrah/hajj before passing the miqāt if she is intending to visit Makkah.
- Perform any of the sunna/recommended acts for preparing the body for iḥrām
- Take the ghusl for cleanliness, which is sunna before entering into iḥrām
- Enter into a state of iḥrām (intention + talbiya in an audible voice)
- Chant the talbiya as much as she likes
- Recite all the sunna supplications
- Pray the two sunna raka’at before entering into iḥrām (nor does she need to make it up later)
A menstruating woman is obliged to wait until her menstruation finishes and she takes a ghusl before performing the ṭawāf. She will remain in a state of iḥrām until the umrah ṭawāf is offered.
- Enter the mosque
- Perform any type of ṭawāf
(Read about the general categories of prohibited acts of worship here.)
The sa’y cannot be performed until after the umrah ṭawāf is completed. A menstruating woman is obliged to wait until her menstruation finishes and she takes a ghusl before performing the umrah ṭawāf. Moreover, with the new renovations, our teachers say that Safa and Marwa are now included in the mosque, and as a result, menstruating women can no longer enter the place for sa’y.
- Enter the mosque
- Perform the sa’y
Trimming the Hair
Trimming the hair before the umrah rites are completed is an iḥrām violation and it will result in a penalty. Furthermore, despite cutting her hair, a menstruating woman will remain in a state of iḥrām until the umrah rites are carried out.
- Cut/trim her hair until the umrah rites are completed
If her group will leave Makkah before her menstruation finishes, then she must contact a scholar/mufti about what to do in her situation.